Welcome to the Thrillerfest V Blog!

We hope you'll bookmark us, just as you bookmark so many of the hundreds of the International Thriller Writers that participate in our annual conference, held in New York City in July.

ITW is a youthful organization, always ready for a new way of looking at things. You'll find that dynamism here, in blog posts from authors, agents, editors and Thrillerfest attendees, past and present.

And that same excitement you feel from your favorite reads is evident in everything ITW does, and no wonder--the organization, staffing and publicity for ThrillerFest--including this new blog--is undertaken by volunteers, most of whom are ITW authors themselves.

So pull up a chair and stay awhile ... discover the latest news on what Thrillerfest V--the fifth anniversary of the conference--has to offer. Visit old friends, make new ones, ask questions, and hear about the remarkable things in store for the conference.

Whether or not you can come see us in New York--and we hope that you can!--please join us here. It's gonna be ... a thriller!

Kelli Stanley, Thrillerfest Publicity Committee Chair

Thrillerfest Publicity Committee:
Jeannie Holmes
CJ Lyons
Carla Buckley
Grant McKenzie

Monday, March 2, 2009

Pregnant with Possibility

Like any thriller author, I did my research before I wrote this blog. What are the titles of the previous posts: All things red and lovely (love), having a blast at Thrillerfest, and Virginity. What comes after all that? Sadly, if you’re not careful: Pregnancy.

Like pregnancy, my Thrillerfest experience started out with the sneaking feeling that I forgot something important and I wasn’t really ready. But Thrillerfest was happening regardless and I had signed up. The first morning, I checked in and got my badge, complete with a debut author button. But my book wasn’t due out for a year. Did I even belong here with all the other writers, all more famous and accomplished than I? Then other debut writers showed up at the registration desk and I forgot my worries. I had never met most of them, except online, but it was like a reunion of old friends as we sat around and talked about what to expect when you’re expecting.

The next pregnancy symptom: morning sickness. Technically the nausea was caused by fear of speaking on my first panel, but really, the feeling in the pit of my stomach was just the same. My moderator was encouraging, the audience enthusiastic and friendly so the nausea passed and I was able to concentrate on what I was there for: talking to others about my experiences as a new author. Next time I’ll bring ginger ale and crackers.

Weight gain was unavoidable. My poor book bag grew ever heavier. Practically every time I sat down, someone offered me a free book and I’ve never been able to resist a luscious free book. Or two. Or three. In fact, I overindulged so much that I didn’t fit in my…plane seat on the way home and had to ship back extra boxes of books. Appalling lack of control, really.

Most of all, though, Thrillerfest showed me all the possibilities open to me and the other first time parents…err..debut authors, as we were pampered and spoiled by more experienced ITW writers. We got friendly advice, emotional support and, I’m not making this up, free breakfast. I’m looking forward to this July, after my book makes its way into the world, when I too can sit on that big delivery table at the author breakfast and spend a few minutes talking about my own bundle of pages.

Rebecca Cantrell
A TRACE OF SMOKE
www.rebeccacantrell.com

No comments:

Post a Comment